This is so simple, it feels silly to call this a recipe. But, if you’re like me and ate your fair share of “buffalo” style chicken in your meat eating days, sometimes you need a healthier alternative to a buffalo chick’n sammie.
Funny thing is, this didn’t start with a buffalo craving. I was in the kitchen with only an avocado as a fresh ingredient, wondering what I could make myself for dinner. This is what I came up with.
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup of dry brown rice (+ 2 cups of water)
- Dash of salt
- 1 can garbanzo beans (or 1.5 cups cooked)
- 1 avocado
- 1 tsp buffalo sauce (plus more to taste)
- Black pepper and cilantro, to taste
- Press and mince the garlic, then sautee in oil until fragrant, but not burnt.
- Add rice, water, and salt. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to low heat and cover.
- While rice cooks, prepare the topping: mash whole avocado with tsp of buffalo sauce.
- If you have a well-stocked fridge, throw in some greens just before the rice is done. Otherwise, wait until fully cooked and add the chickpeas.
- Add the spices until sufficiently flavored.
- Scoop into two bowls and top with avocado sauce, and additional buffalo sauce, to taste.
This makes two decent size bowls and is both delicious and simple! Perfect for a work-night dinner.